Key verse 17:5
1. Why did Sarai and Abram think it was reasonable, and even God’s will (15:4), for Abram to take Hagar as a concubine? (16:1-4a) How does their decision show their lack of faith?
2. What problems arose in Abram’s family after Hagar became pregnant? (16:4-6) How did God reveal himself to Hagar in her time of need? (16:6-12) How did she show her faith in God? (16:13-15)
3. What does it mean, “Walk before me faithfully and be blameless”? (17:1) What does this suggest about Abram’s life during those silent years?
4. Why did God change Abram’s name from Abram and to Abraham? (17:5) What does the new name show about God’s plan for him and his descendants?
5. What is God’s covenant he made with Abraham and his descendants? (17:7-9) Why is it significant that God made circumcision the sign and seal of the covenant? (17:10-14, cf. Romans 2:29)
6. How would God bless Sarai and why was this a surprise for Abraham? (17:15-16) What specific promises did God give Abraham concerning Ishmael and Isaac? (17:19-22)